Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Can You Spare a Dime?

With the upcoming gubernatorial election in Texas, lines are being drawn. Liberals have begun to line up after Bill White, while conservatives are mobilizing in support for Governor Perry. Like many neighborhoods across Texas, supporters in my small town have begun to declare themselves with yard signs and bumper stickers.

The other morning, as I walked the dogs, I came across a yard with a "Bill White for Governor" sign prominently displayed. Bill White is the Democratic candidate for governor in Texas. Now I know that many liberals, among other things, pride themselves on their "compassion" for the suffering and less fortunate. I presumed the owner of the sign shared those sensibilities.

I had been by the house many times before, but that morning the owner was out tending to his front yard. I asked him if he was a Bill White supporter. "Yes" he said. I told him I was disabled and unemployed, (both are true), and asked him if he would give me $20. After giving me a peculiar look, it only took him a moment to tell me no. I didn't really expect him to give it to me.

Most liberals would not hesitate to support a government plan to increase spending for the unemployed or disabled. Most would shrug off the spending of tax dollars to support the cause, even if it meant taxes would have to be raised or the government expanded and go further into debt. Many consider it a duty to tend to the needs of society's less fortunate. Most liberals are proud of their compassion and do not care how much that compassion costs. How many were willing to support spending hundreds of billions of dollars to create a national health care plan?

The gentleman I spoke with this morning might sincerely believe that government should be more compassionate and do more to help the disabled and the unemployed. All I know is that he would not give me a dime.

Liberals fancy they are the champions of the poor and the suffering. They are willing to go to great lengths and spend billions to demonstrate their commitment and compassion. It is easy to imagine the howls if the government proposed cutting welfare benefits or trimming WIC. Their zeal for increasing social benefits for the needy and disadvantaged is often on display, from bumper stickers to protests at the capitol. For many liberals, money is no object when it comes to funding social programs. They have no qualms about the government spending of billions of dollars to help those in need. But just ask one for $20. I dare you.

Anyone who voted for Obama or supports liberal candidates out of compassion for the homeless and less fortunate should contact me. I can take them down to the end of the park outside my apartment and I will show them some real, flesh and blood homeless people they can help. I do not expect anyone to contact me. Most people prefer to give at the voting booth.

2 comments:

Agrippa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Agrippa said...

Nice to meet you.